5 Things I've learned about Marriage


I had always heard the Marriage Myth that the first year is the hardest, and it's a make it or break it year for you and your spouse. I never thought in a million years that a simple piece of paper would ever really change mine and Eric's relationship. But honestly, the past six month of marriage have truly been an exciting time for us and it's been a season of growth. If you read Tuesday's post celebrating our Six Month Anniversary, you know mine and Eric's love story. We've been in each other's lives for a long time, (since I was thirteen.) As far as our relationship history, we started dating in July 2012, got engaged January 2015, and got married September 2015.

I thought it would be fun to link this week's two posts to the same subject and continue celebrating our six month wedding anniversary by sharing with you a few key things I have learned about marriage, so far. Believe me, Eric and I are not perfect, but we have learned a few things that have made our transition from boyfriend/girlfriend to husband/wife a little smoother.

Here are 5 Things I've learned about Marriage, so far:

Communication is Key. Having an open line of communication is so important in any relationship, let alone your relationship with your spouse. Being able to communicate openly and honestly is super important, also! If you can't talk to your spouse about something, who else can you talk to?? Your spouse should know you better than anyone else, and having good communication is a key way to get there. Also, communicating with each other about schedules, work obligations, and family functions is also a must. Keep each other in the loop about everything, and things will run smoothly.

Marriage is all about Teamwork. There is definitely a lot of give and take in marriage. Eric and I have had to get into the habit of helping each other out around the house, and in the kitchen. I know Eric loves when I make dinner for him, but sometimes it doesn't feel quite fair that I'm slaving away in the kitchen while he's playing video games after we have both worked a long day. He has gotten a lot better about helping out, or even just asking if I need help, before turning on the PlayStation.


Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. I have heard this from many married women in my life that I love and respect, including my mother, my mother-in-law, my pastor's wife, etc. Nagging about the socks Eric leaves on the floor, or not shutting the kitchen cabinet doors are nothing to start an argument over. I can take the two seconds to shut the cabinets behind him, or pick up socks literally sitting right next to the hamper. It's just NOT WORTH THE ARGUMENT! Someone please tell me my husband is not the only one who drops his socks right next to the hamper, and not inside it!

Spend Time Apart. Missing a girls night here and there might seem like no big deal, but when you start to feel disconnected from your girlfriends, and they aren't looking for you, it's most likely because you're not looking for them either! Yes, spending time with your spouse is SUPER important, but keeping up with your girlfriends and him keeping in touch with his guy friends, is just as important. Give your spouse some time to miss you.

It's Okay to Keep some things Private. Let me clarify, this does NOT mean keeping things private from each other... this to me means keeping some things private from family members, friends, and even co-workers. If Eric and I have had an argument or disagreement, I am always tempted to run and tell my side of the story to get sympathy from my mom, friend, mother-in-law, etc. Or try to get someone else to be on my side of the argument, but I remember this piece of advice and now I think twice. An argument between husband and wife is not the right subject to run and blab to someone else about. If in the future Eric and I can't seem to work it out on our own, I would want to assume we would seek advice from a married couple that we look up to and respectI would hate to have gone and told our business to someone and later resolve the issue and have someone we love have a tainted opinion of Eric or myself, after he and I have solved our disagreement.

I hope these tips have been helpful, or maybe just a reminder to let go of the little things, and continue to openly communicate with your loved one.

If you have any advice for Newlyweds, or Marriage Veterans, please leave a comment below!

xoxo.


Unknown

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment