Decluttering Tips for Newlyweds

Merging two completely separate lives into one household is not an easy task. Deciding whose towels should stay, and whose should be donated is just the tip of the iceberg. It takes compromise and communication to make your home feel like both of you live there, and it doesn't look like a princess castle or feel like a man cave.
Having had plenty of roommates in my life, I definitely knew to some extent what I was getting into when starting to share my space with Eric. But having never lived with a boy... that was a whole new adjustment to make. Yes, I do have a brother, but the age gap between us, we were always in different places in life when growing up, so I didn't really take note of any distinct habits to look forward to in marriage.
I feel like I mention this in every post now, but since becoming a wife, I have been trying to become a better person altogether... to take care of my husband and take care of our home. I have even dedicated a whole board on my Pinterest to Cleaning/Organizing that you can check out here.
I have put together a small list of things Newlyweds can do to help declutter their space below, based on personal experiences Eric and I have shared recently.
Start Small. we all know the saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Well, a completely clutter-free space will not happen overnight either. Start with one room in your home, or better yet, a corner of one room in your home. A dresser drawer, your nightstands, whatever... just start small. If you try to tackle a huge task, you will just overwhelm yourself even more.
Declutter Together. Having someone right there with you to tackle the garage is always better than doing it alone. Also, having someone help during this process might not only be a physical help, but also a mental help as well. Sometimes we can't detach ourselves from things, but when your husband doesn't think you need the 40 coffee mugs in the cabinet for just the two of you, and you're running out of space, you might not think he's so crazy after all.
Make It Fun. Spending time together should always be fun, but taking pride in your space and sharing the responsibility together... who knows what kind of fun you'll have. Put on your favorite Pandora station, and force your hubby to listen to your favorite boyband while cleaning and organizing.

What were/are some of your tips and tricks to declutter as newlyweds?
xoxo.

Unknown

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment